Welcome to Distance Learning in Environment Engineering
Aimed at providing in-service professionals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes that enable them to recognize and solve problems in their domains of study and future work, the Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) offers distance-learning courses in Environmental Engineering.
The Institute uses various media for course delivery. The printed course materials, for example, are self-learning in nature, simulating learner-teacher interaction. Furthermore, appropriate information and communications technologies are used to facilitate just-in-time contacts among distance learners and teachers. The delivery model also incorporates an instructional system that uses performance-based learning processes and this enables you to demonstrate your understanding of the content-areas. The intensive competence-based course format allows you to take more responsibility for your own learning. In order to cater to the varying learning styles, the Institute offers the subject material in the following modes:
- Downloadable mode: Downloadable mode empowers to offer education in a dynamic form to students. Students can access lessons, assignments and submit their scripts online. They need not brood if they miss lessons - they can download their lesson notes and access archived lessons, tutorial sessions, lectures, etc.
- Read-only mode: Students will be able to only read the course concepts, downloads or interactive sessions are unavailable.
- Classroom interaction: The interactive learning provides an environment for students to talk and discuss freely about any related topics on or off line.
- Synchronous and asynchronous communication (x chat, discussion forum, bulletin board, email, etc.): Client Server Model that works with Internet Relay Chat Server Protocol, it allows servers to connect to each other effectively forming a network. Protocol is used by servers to talk to one another. Instructor and participants can talk with each other and discuss on related topic for stipulated time given by the instructor. In mailing-grouping, participants can become member of Mailing-group by registering their names in their group. Once approved by the instructor, participants can post their questions to this group ID. This way the course instructor or any other participant can reply to questions that will be read by all the members in that group including the instructor.
- Practice orientation: Participants progress through the curriculum by demonstrating their competence in a variety of skill and knowledge areas. Student who demonstrates a competency is showing the ability "to do" something to put knowledge and principles into practice. After completing all examinations, students are required to apply the course content in his or her work setting and submit an example of how they achieved this goal.